Sr Security Software Engineer, Application Security at Netflix
Los Gatos, CA
Netflix has a unique and innovative culture that guides us to do things differently. This helps keep engineering velocity high, but also means that our security team needs to operate differently than a traditional security team. The two important aspects of the culture that affect how the security team operates are “Freedom and Responsibility” and “Context not Control”. Employees have tremendous freedom in their work, along with the corresponding responsibility to do the right thing for Netflix. Instead of controlling engineers with process and security gates, we enable them to create secure code and provide them with adequate security context to make the right decisions for Netflix.
The Application Security team helps secure applications that run the Netflix business and the streaming product. Our customers are primarily Netflix engineering teams that produce software deployed within our cloud infrastructure. We aren’t your typical Appsec team. In addition to driving high impact security initiatives for high risk product areas, we spend a lot of time automating application insight and vulnerability identification across our AWS ecosystem. We aim to scale application security via actionable self-service and automated visibility.
• You are passionate about using automation to scale application security.
• Your primary background is in software engineering with experience in application security.
• You have experience with Python software development and are an effective collaborator and communicator.
In this role, you will leverage your technical expertise to identify and deliver high impact security solutions at Netflix scale. You will leverage your appsec skills to support the Netflix bug bounty program, participate in our product security incident response efforts and other operational appsec responsibilities.
We understand that candidates may come from all different education levels and backgrounds. We encourage this! If you enjoy working on the kinds of problems outlined above, then we should talk.
Finally, here’s a few more reasons why we love this work and think that you will too:
• You would be working with an industry leading security team with many opportunities to improve existing projects and identify new ones.
• You are a big fan of open source software and sharing information. We share when it makes sense and are always researching new ideas from across the community.
• You enjoy learning and working closely with subject matter experts in diverse areas such as microservices architecture, big data, content delivery networks, and a production studio.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity of thought, culture, background, and perspective at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.